Divers have recovered the last two bodies of the Italian divers who died deep inside an underwater cave in the Maldives last week.
Presidential spokesperson Mohameed Hussain Shareef said the last two bodies were recovered by three Finnish divers on Wednesday, local time, supported by the Maldives coastguard and police.
Mr Shareef said they would be taken to a morgue to be identified.
“After that we will coordinate with the Italian government and start the procedure to repatriate the bodies,” he said.
He thanked the Finnish divers, praising them for their professionalism and leadership.
The Italian divers had been exploring the cave in Vaavu Atoll last Thursday when they disappeared.
The Finnish divers already recovered the bodies of two of the Italian divers on Tuesday.
The four bodies had been located Monday at a depth of around 60 metres, twice the legal depth for recreational diving in the island nation, in the cave’s innermost area.
Government spokesperson Ahmed Shaam said the four bodies were found “pretty much together”.
The body of their Italian diving instructor was recovered outside the cave on Thursday.
While the Italian divers had a permit, authorities didn’t know from their proposal the exact location of the cave they were exploring, and at least two of the dead were not on the list of researchers that had been submitted, “so we didn’t know they were part of the expedition,” Mr Shareef said.
He described the conditions deep in the cave as “challenging” with difficult terrain, strong currents and poor visibility.
He said an alert had also been issued due to bad weather, and investigators must determine whether the divers took adequate precautions.
The Divers’ Alert Network Europe, which deployed the Finnish divers, described them as technical and cave divers with experience in search and recovery missions, including operations in “deep overhead environments, confined spaces and high-risk scenarios”.
The rescue team used closed-circuit re-breathers, a system that recycles exhaled breathing gas and removes carbon dioxide through a chemical scrubber, allowing for “significantly longer dives,” the organisation said.
The search had been temporarily suspended after a local military diver died during a perilous retrieval attempt.
The cause of death of the Maldivian military diver is still under investigation, but colleagues have suggested he may have died from nitrogen narcosis or decompression at depth.
AP
News
THE EXIT VANISHED IN THE DARK: A broken guide-rope theory is now raising chilling new questions in the Maldives cave disaster — and investigators may be closer to understanding why the divers never found their way back… 👇👇
A Maldivian military diver has died while searching for the bodies of four Italian divers Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital. Divers prepare to search for the four missing Italian divers near Alimathaa Island, Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, […]
THE SAME SECOND THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING: Newly reviewed Maldives dive logs suggest the victims’ final panic may have happened in a terrifyingly synchronized moment — and families are now demanding answers… 👇👇
The bodies of four Italian divers who went missing during a scuba diving accident in the Maldives last week have been located, officials have confirmed to the BBC. The Italians were found inside a 60-metre-deep (197ft) cave in Vaavu Atoll by a joint team of highly trained Finnish and Maldivian divers, the officials said. The body […]
THE DIVE COMPUTER JUST CHANGED EVERYTHING: Data recovered from the Maldives victims may reveal their final minutes were far more disturbing than an accident… 👇
By International Desk The most chilling theory yet in the Maldives cave-diving tragedy centers on a single question: did four divers panic at the same moment deep inside the cave? A claim circulating online alleges that newly published dive logs from May 21 show all four divers released their air hoses at the same second, […]
WHAT HAPPENED AT THE SAME SECOND UNDERWATER? Investigators reviewing dive data from the fatal Maldives descent say the timing of the air-supply failures is now raising outrage and suspicion… 👇
By International Desk The most chilling theory yet in the Maldives cave-diving tragedy centers on a single question: did four divers panic at the same moment deep inside the cave? A claim circulating online alleges that newly published dive logs from May 21 show all four divers released their air hoses at the same second, […]
Police conclusion: Was Donike Gocaj’s fatal fall into the manhole premeditated? Who deliberately opened the manhole cover to cause the accident?… 👇👇
By U.S. News Desk The death of Donike Gocaj, the 56-year-old Westchester grandmother who fell into an open manhole in Midtown Manhattan, has triggered a wave of public anger and difficult questions. Was the cover deliberately removed? Could someone have opened it on purpose? Or was this a horrifying accident caused by a dangerous failure […]
VIRGIN RIVER SEASON 7 BEGINS WITH HEARTBREAK — AND FANS ARE ALREADY SAYING NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME
Fans pressing play on the newest season of Virgin River were expecting emotional drama, romance, and another wave of cliffhangers. What they did not expect was heartbreak almost immediately. Season 7 officially arrived on Netflix today — and within moments, viewers were thrown into one of the series’ most emotionally devastating openings yet after the […]
End of content
No more pages to load








