A veteran Maldivian diver alleges the five Italians who died trapped in a deep underwater cave didn’t have the required government authorization to undertake such a perilous dive, and would still be alive today if the rules had been followed.
A group of five Italian scuba divers died exploring the Alimathaa cave in the Vaavu Atoll Thursday, at a depth of about 160 feet, according to Italy’s Foreign Ministry.
Shafraz Naeem, a instructor-trainer with 30 years of technical diving experience and advisor to the Maldives National Defence Force, has done more than 50 dives in the cave where the group disappeared and even a Coast Guard diver died Saturday.

Shafraz Naeem has made more than 50 dives in the Vaavu Atoll cave.shaff_naeem/instagram
“Everyone knows the rules were broken,” Naeem said in an interview Saturday with Italian news service ANSA.
The entrance to the cave is between 180 and 190 feet deep, and it extends some 330 feet inward, before branching off into narrow tunnels that continue ever deeper, like a descent into the abyss, he noted.
The maximum allowed diving depth in the Maldives is 100 feet for a recreational dive, which is what the ship, the Duke of York — a foreign-operated live-aboard yacht that had another 20 tourists on board and is listed as a PADI Five Star Dive Resort — offers.
The vessel had its license suspended by the Maldives’ Ministry of Tourism Friday as local police and Italian prosecutors investigate the circumstances of the disappearance.
Maldives officials haven’t explicitly said the ship operator didn’t have the required authorization to go below 100 feet, but there is no public evidence that it did.
Both the Italian tour company, Albatros, that runs the boat, and the University of Genoa, that sent the researchers on scientific mission to the Maldives, said they had not authorized the dive.

A group of eight divers from the Maldives Coast Guard failed to recover any remains Saturday.Maldives Presidents Media Division via AP
Naeem said the five Italians likely died from a mix of factors that could include lack of gas reserves, nitrogen narcosis and loss of visibility – adding that in the cave any issue triggers a domino effect.
“Caves are unforgiving because you cannot make a direct ascent,” he said. “Even the most experienced divers can face considerable challenges.”
Only one body, that of diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti, 44, has been recovered so far.

One of the Coast Guard divers died in the operation Saturday, before it was called off.SOPHIA NASIF/EPA/Shutterstock
A group of eight divers from the Maldives Coast Guard failed to recover any remains Saturday, and one of them died of suspected decompression sickness in the efforts. A specialized team from Finland is en route to take over the operation.
Monica Montefalcone, 51, a marine biologist from the University of Genoa on a mission to the Maldives to monitor the effects of climate change on tropical biodiversity, also failed to resurface from the dive.
Her daughter, Giorgia Sommacal, 22, and University of Genoa research fellow Muriel Oddenino, 31, were with her.
The other victim was Frederico Gualtieri, 31, a marine biology master’s graduate from the university, who wrote his thesis on coral diversity in the Maldives.
News
THE TWIST NO ONE WAS READY FOR — Sally Field’s latest masterpiece is hiding a heartbreaking revelation that turns the entire story upside down
How Sally Field Co-Starred With an OctopusCourtesy of Netflix “Hearst Magazines and Yahoo may earn commission or revenue on some items through these links.” Spoilers below. Shelby Van Pelt’s bestselling book Remarkably Bright Creatures was destined to become a movie. The real question was whether the friendship between Tova, a widow working as a cleaner, and Marcellus, […]
IT’S OFFICIAL — LANDMAN SEASON 3 IS LOCKING IN ITS PRIME-TIME COMEBACK
IT’S OFFICIAL — LANDMAN SEASON 3 IS LOCKING IN ITS PRIME-TIME COMEBACK! The wait is almost over. Landman is gearing up for a massive Season 3 return, and this time, the stakes look bigger, darker, and more explosive than ever. Oil wars. Broken alliances. Power moves no one saw coming. Don’t miss the official release […]
Why did the Italian tourist group enter the deadly cave despite strict warnings?
A veteran Maldivian diver alleges the five Italians who died trapped in a deep underwater cave didn’t have the required government authorization to undertake such a perilous dive, and would still be alive today if the rules had been followed. A group of five Italian scuba divers died exploring the Alimathaa cave in the Vaavu Atoll Thursday, […]
The four oxygen tanks found belonging to the victims still had their internal pressure intact. If it wasn’t due to running out of gas, what prevented them from surfacing?
The Maldives diving incident is turning from a tragedy into a major controversy over depth limits. But what is drawing intense attention now is the revelation that four recovered oxygen tanks still had significant pressure inside when examined — a detail that continues to puzzle investigators and fuel speculation about what overwhelmed five experienced Italian […]
THE MALDIVES SEA CASE: MYSTERIOUS GPS ROUTE TURNED BEFORE 5 TOURISTS DISAPPEARED
Five Italian tourists vanished during what was meant to be a luxury Maldives excursion. Authorities are now reviewing underwater navigation records showing a dramatic 92-foot route deviation moments before all contact was lost with the group deep inside a cave system in Vaavu Atoll. This unexpected shift in their planned path has become a pivotal […]
LATEST NEWS: Haunting account from the sole surviving witness of a diving accident in the Maldives
How sole survivor of ill-fated Maldives scuba dive that killed 5 narrowly escaped death A lone survivor in a group of Italian tourists killed while scuba diving escaped death in the Maldives on Thursday — because she stayed behind on a yacht while her friends took the plunge. A sixth diver, a student at University […]
End of content
No more pages to load







