(Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP)
An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort after five Italians and a rescue diver died in the Indian Ocean tourist destination’s deadliest diving disaster, an official said.
The five Italians drowned while in a deep underwater cave in remote seas on Thursday, and Maldivian authorities recovered one body later that day.
A rescue diver from the Maldivian National Defence Force also died in hospital on Saturday from decompression-related complications after surfacing during the search, which was later suspended.
Italy, Britain and Australia have already provided assistance in the search for the remaining four Italians in difficult and dangerous conditions, chief government spokesman Mohamed Hussain Shareef told AFP.
“Three Finnish experts from DAN (Divers Alert Network), commissioned by the Italian government, arrived today and will join the search, most probably on Monday,” Shareef said.
The United States had also offered help, he said.
He said foreign assistance in the recovery effort is being coordinated by DAN and the Maldivian Coast Guard, which has sent its largest vessel to the area.
The body of the Italian that was recovered on Thursday was found in a cave at a depth of about 60 metres (195 feet).
A funeral with full military honours was held for Maldivian diver Staff Sergeant Mohamed Mahudhy on Saturday night, Shareef said.
“We are very sad about the tragic loss of the Italians. We are also very saddened by the loss of our own diver,” he said.
“We are two nations united in grief.”
The University of Genoa said the victims included a marine biology professor, her daughter, and two young researchers.
The five deaths were confirmed by Italy’s foreign ministry.
The Maldives also suspended the operating licence on Saturday of the luxury vessel from which the Italians had been diving.
Tourism is a key source of revenue for the low-lying Maldives, a nation of 1,192 tiny coral islands and atolls scattered some 800 kilometres (500 miles) across the equator in the Indian Ocean.
Its pristine beaches, clear turquoise waters and exotic coral reefs attract divers and snorkellers from around the world who often stay at secluded resorts or on live-aboard dive boats.
Several fatalities have been reported in recent years but diving and water sports-related accidents are still relatively rare.
News
‘Outlander’ Season 8 Episode 10 Recap: “And The World Was All Around Us”
LOS ANGELES — The highly anticipated series finale of Outlander has officially aired, delivering a devastating and mind-bending conclusion to the decade-long time-traveling epic. In a highly guarded secret, the production team filmed multiple endings for the finale, leaving even the core cast completely in the dark about which version would ultimately air until the […]
BIG UPDATE: ‘LANDMAN’ SEASON 3 IS FINALLY BACK — AND WE ARE GETTING 14 EXPLOSIVE NEW EPISODES!
LOS ANGELES — Landman is officially coming back for a third season, bringing a supersized order of 14 brand-new episodes to the hit series. Following a previous installment defined by absolute chaos, ruthless power plays, and jaw-dropping betrayals, the next chapter is set to go even bigger. The upcoming season will plunge viewers back into […]
THE OUTLANDER TWIST OF THE CENTURY: JAMIE’S GHOST AND A MIND-BENDING TIME LOOP JUST CHANGED EVERYTHING!
LOS ANGELES — The sprawling, time-traveling saga of Jamie and Claire Fraser has officially drawn to a close with the Outlander series finale, titled “And The World Was All Around Us.” In a newly published review by TV Fanatic, the final episode of Season 8 is dissected to see if it delivers a fitting send-off […]
A 7-YEAR PROPHECY FULFILLED: THE SHOCKING TRUTH BEHIND CLAIRE’S WHITE HAIR IN OUTLANDER SEASON 8!
‘Outlander’ Series Finale Review: A Disappointing End to a Lackluster Final Season LOS ANGELES — The final episode of the hit series Outlander has officially concluded the 12-year journey of Jamie and Claire Fraser, but it leaves fans with more regret than satisfaction. In a recent review for Forbes, critic Erik Kain described the final […]
Cave Tragedy: Authorities have confirmed the identity of the diver k!lled during the search for five Italians in the Maldives underwater caves
Tour operator denies authorizing the descent, says divers appeared to be using standard recreational equipment A perilous search for the bodies of four Italian divers missing deep inside a Maldivian cave was halted Saturday after a military diver died during the mission. Mohamed Mahdi, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died from decompression […]
Latest Update: Officials have revealed where the first people were found inside the Maldives sea cave
MALE, Maldives — International cave diving experts have arrived in the Maldives to take over the perilous recovery operation for four missing Italian tourists, a day after a local military rescue diver died attempting to reach them inside a treacherous underwater cave system. Divers prepare to search for the four missing Italian divers near Vaavu […]
End of content
No more pages to load








