MALE, Maldives — International cave diving experts have arrived in the Maldives to take over the perilous recovery operation for four missing Italian tourists, a day after a local military rescue diver died attempting to reach them inside a treacherous underwater cave system.

The five Italians are believed to have perished on Thursday while exploring the Vaavu Atoll. So far, only the body of diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti has been recovered near the entrance. Authorities believe the remaining four are trapped deep within the labyrinthine caves.
British cave rescue expert John Volanthen told CNN the operation faces “fatal” challenges. Extreme depths of up to 60 meters (nearly 200 feet), suffocatingly narrow passages, and near-zero visibility make the underwater terrain incredibly hostile.

Volanthen emphasized that diving at such extreme depths drastically increases the risk of nitrogen narcosis—a condition that impairs judgment, causes hallucinations, and triggers panic. Combined with thick silt on the cave floor and a complex zigzag layout, navigation is nearly impossible, even for elite professionals.

The missing individuals—identified as ecology associate professor Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, and researchers Muriel Oddenino and Federico Gualtieri—were all affiliated with the University of Genoa in Italy. Despite being experienced divers, officials noted they were using standard recreational gear rather than the specialized technical equipment strictly required for deep cave diving.
The group had embarked on the dive from the vessel Duke of York. Albatros, the agency marketing the tour, clarified they do not own the boat nor directly employ the local crew.
High-level communications are ongoing between Rome and Malé. An Italian envoy arrived in the capital on Friday to monitor the coast guard’s efforts firsthand. Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani pledged that both nations will utilize all available resources to bring the victims home.
News
Cave Tragedy: Authorities have confirmed the identity of the diver k!lled during the search for five Italians in the Maldives underwater caves
Tour operator denies authorizing the descent, says divers appeared to be using standard recreational equipment A perilous search for the bodies of four Italian divers missing deep inside a Maldivian cave was halted Saturday after a military diver died during the mission. Mohamed Mahdi, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died from decompression […]
Latest Update: Officials have suspended the search for four Italians in a Maldives underwater cave as a critical issue emerges
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka — Authorities in the Maldives have suspended the search for four Italian divers trapped deep inside an underwater cave following the death of a military rescue diver. The five Italians are believed to have died Thursday while exploring a cave system at a depth of about 160 feet (50 meters) in the […]
Sixth Figure: Newly released CCTV from the Maldives tourist disappearance shows someone else at the scene
An elite squad of divers is in a race against time to recover the final bodies of the five Italians who died in Thursday’s tragic incident in the Maldives — hoping they can reach their remains before the sharks do. Only the body of the doomed group’s diving instructor has been found so far — […]
Three people are d3ad and several more !njured after a vehicle sl@mmed into p3destrians in East Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. – Three pedestrians were killed and several others were hurt when a car rammed into them late Saturday night in East Oakland. What we know: The crash happened at about 11:15 p.m. in the area of International Boulevard and 85th Avenue. A witness said the incident began with a collision between a blue vehicle and […]
Courtroom Plea: Kouri Richins’ lover made an emotional request at sentencing, only for the room to react with disbelief
Kouri Richins prepares to speak at her sentencing Wednesday at 3rd District Court in Park City, Utah. Trent Nelson/Pool/The Salt Lake Tribune/AP Before a judge sentenced Kouri Richins for fatally poisoning her husband, the couple’s three young sons made their feelings clear. They urged Judge Richard Mrazik to sentence their mother – who two of […]
Family Speaks: The University of Washington student’s family revealed a 10-minute final recording during the suspect’s courtroom hearing
SEATTLE – The man suspected of fatally stabbing a University of Washington student may have been involved in a 2013 lawsuit against a Seattle private school over allegations of bullying. Seattle police said Christopher Leahy, 31, turned himself in to Bellevue police at about 10:20 p.m. Wednesday. He was interviewed by homicide detectives before being […]
End of content
No more pages to load











